Program Category: Primary Health
Primary Care Asthma Program (PCAP) – Asthma and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
A registered respiratory therapist offers services that address the health of children and adults who are living with Asthma and/or COPD in East Toronto. Individuals and their families have the opportunity to access one-to-one and group care, education and support in a way that improves their capacity to self-manage their respiratory health concerns and promotes optimal health outcomes.
PCAP also provides support to primary care doctors, nurses and nurse practitioners in making clinical decisions around the assessment, diagnosis and management of Asthma and COPD through the use of a range of resources and tools, including Spirometry. This interprofessional approach using consultation and collaboration with the PCAP Respiratory Therapist leads to better client outcomes for respiratory health.
- Screening and assessment for asthma or COPD
- Lung function testing
- Education on asthma or COPD
- Self-managing symptoms and triggers
- Understanding respiratory medication types and uses
- Review of puffers and how to use them
- Creating an effective treatment plan
- Consultation and spirometry training for primary health care providers
- Community workshops, education and screening
Services are available:
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at SRCHC, hours vary, some evening appointments.
- By appointment only.
- Through our partner sites, PCAP services are also available on Mondays and Fridays at Regent Park CHC (465 Dundas Street East) and East End CHC (1619 Queen Street East)
- SRCHC clients residing within the catchment area
- 955 Queen St E
- Toronto, ON M4M 3P3