Program Category: Chronic Conditions
Diabetes Eye Screening Program – Teleophthalmology
Yearly diabetes eye screenings can reduce the risk of diabetes-related damage to the eye (retinopathy) which, if left untreated, can cause vision loss.
- Screenings are FREE (OHIP is not required)
- The painless, 60 minute screening is done by a registered practical nurse and has the following three steps:
- Vision is checked using an eye chart – contacts or glasses (if worn) needed for exam
- Eye is numbed using eye drops and eye pressure is checked
- Pupil is enlarged (dilated) using eye drops and pictures of the back of the eye (retina) are taken
- Results of the exam are sent electronically (using telemedicine) to a retinal specialist who reviews the results and sends a report to the primary healthcare provider (doctor or nurse practitioner).
- Further eye care is arranged if needed to repair damage.
- Services available to people over the age of 18 with diabetes who have not had an eye screening in the last year.
- A referral is required from your a Doctor or Nurse Practitioner.
To determine if you are eligible contact our nurses at 416-461-2493 ext 276
Screenings are FREE and held at several locations across Toronto:
- Anishnawbe Health Toronto
- Flemingdon Health Centre
- LAMP Community Health Centre
- Mon Sheong, Home for the Aged
- Parkdale Community Health Centre
- Scarborough Academic Family Health Team
- South Riverdale Community Health Centre
- St. Michaels Hospital, Academic Family Health Team
- TAIBU Community Health Centre
- Unison Health and Community Services
- Women’s College Hospital, Family Practice Health Team
As a client you can expect the following:
- All programs and services are FREE
- TTC or transportation support is available (depending on eligibility)
- Programs and services are available in your language with advance notice
- A support person is welcome to attend appointments with you
For more information visit www.eyescreening.ca
Diabetes Eye Screening Program - Teleophthalmology
- 955 Queen Street East
- Toronto, ON M4M 3P3