The South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service Centre that provides primary health care, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion to residents of East Toronto.
The Registered Nurse – SCS – CTS works as part of the multi-disciplinary Supervised Consumption Service (SCS) / Consumption Treatment Service (CTS) staff team. This position will work collaboratively with other interdisciplinary team members, health care professionals/service providers and clients in the identification and resolution of health issues and integration of care, makes referrals to other service providers and strives for excellence in client centered care and education.
- Works independently, under the guidance of Medical Directives, or in consultation with other SRCHC primary care providers or other relevant inter-professional team members as appropriate
- Orients clients to the SCS – CTS and supports a welcoming, non-judgmental and safe space
- Establishes a therapeutic relationship and develops rapport with clients
- Completes intake and assessments, when required, and acts as an entry point into the SIS and other health or social services at SRCHC and beyond
- Supervises SCS – CTS clients to administer their own injections, who may present with a variety of acute and chronic illnesses/diseases
- Ensures operations of the SCS – CTS comply with all exemption requirements and guidelines
- Dispenses medications to clients without access to medication as delegated by a Health Centre physician and Medical Directives
- Provides health-related equipment or supplies to clients, including harm reduction supplies, and advises on proper use
- Follows established documentation protocols and maintains clear, accurate and timely written documentation in accordance with established procedures and policies of their respective regulatory bodies, the MOH and SRCHC; prepares/maintains statistical data, correspondence reports and other documentation, as required
- Works collaboratively with other staff team members, participates in inter-disciplinary case conferences and team meetings, as required by SRCHC, and collegially shares information, and demonstrates and/or provides guidance on clinical/health related tasks
- Supports SCS – CTS research and evaluation activities. Contributes to SRCHC’s activities to collect, analyze and report on data, participates in research as applicable
- Acts as a liaison with other SCS – CTS and community partners and participates in knowledge exchange/transfer activities, on occasion and in consultation with the management team
- Identifies trends or issues related to the health status of priority groups and uses this information in service planning and advocacy work
- De-escalates conflict with or among clients in accordance with established policies and protocols
- Maintains a hygienic working environment, conducts infection control tasks in accordance with related policies and procedures
- Other duties as required
- Degree in Nursing with current registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario & RNAO membership
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings; experience in primary care or street/outreach nursing setting an asset
- Significant front line nursing harm reduction experience; values aligned with a harm reduction approach to service delivery
- Experience working with people who use drugs, as clients and as co-workers
- Experience in emergency response
- Experience in program development, implementation monitoring and evaluation considered an asset
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to actively and accurately listen
- Open to feedback
- Ability to appropriately handle conflict
- Demonstrated display of sensitivity to others
- Experience working with racialized populations, indigenous peoples, women who engage in sex work, prisoners/ex-prisoners, people with mental health challenges, and people who have experience trauma, would be an asset
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is May 17, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail-in/drop-off your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee – Registered Nurse SCS – CTS
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include “Registered Nurse – SCS – CTS” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.