South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
The Primary Care Asthma Program (PCAP) is an evidence-based asthma program intended
to provide primary care providers with decision aids to support best practice regarding asthma assessment, diagnosis and management. SRCHC coordinates program delivery in a number of Community Health Centres in the East End of Toronto. The Certified Asthma/ Respiratory Educator (CA/RE) works along with primary care providers to assess, diagnose and educate clients and their families or caregivers about asthma and COPD. The CA/RE fosters a collaborative approach to asthma and COPD management in the community; promotes and utilizes opportunities to increase awareness, skill and knowledge within the community.
This position is expected to work onsite during the COVID-19 pandemic as required.
- Establish goals, objectives and plans for effective implementation of the Primary Care Asthma Program for the site and associated locations
- Serve as a resource person for respiratory health education for the site and community, including asthma, COPD and smoking cessation
- Work with sites to ensure adherence to Primary Care Asthma Project (PCAP) standards and protocols
- Provide spirometry testing as indicated in accordance with the American Thoracic Society guidelines
- Provide asthma and COPD education to clients, families and care providers utilizing best practice strategies and standardized PCAP tools, in accordance with PCAP Advisory Group recommendations
- Provide smoking cessation counselling and NRT dispensing under the STOP program and co-facilitation of smoking cessation support groups
- Assess and address potential barriers to asthma and COPD management, including the social determinants of health
- Participate in the implementation of a cross-organizational smoking cessation strategy
- Work with clients/families and primary care providers to develop, implement and revise customized self-management plans (Action Plans)
- Complete documentation in accordance with PCAP standards and site specific policies and practice
- Identify community resources and help clients understand how and when to best access those resources appropriately
- Develop and maintain collaborative internal and external partnerships
- Attend relevant events, meetings and participates as a member of committees and/or working groups
- Liaise with management, directors and administrators at South Riverdale, East End and Regent Park CHCs to ensure that resources, policies, and practices for asthma care and management are in place
- Collaborate within own team and other teams across the organization to identify and provide health education to target groups
- Perform administrative duties including participation at staff meetings, data entry, etc.
- Maintain successful working relationships; ability to meet and deal with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner, both in person and on the telephone; tact, courtesy and alertness to public contacts
- Maintain professional competency through networking with peers and other health professionals, and participating in relevant continuing education through organizational affiliations
- Other duties as required
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized university
- Licensed Ontario Regulated Healthcare professional with a scope of practice that includes counselling e.g. Respiratory Therapist, RN, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Kinesiologist
- Certified Asthma Educator or Certified Respiratory Educator
- Minimum 3 years clinical experience working with clients with asthma and COPD management, treatment, and education, preferably with experience of conducting spirometry
- An ability to deliver asthma education and prevention programs targeted at clients and staff in both group and individual settings
- Project coordination skills including staff education, maintenance of client care systems, preparation of project reports, scheduling, evaluation of clinical care delivery relative to guidelines or standards of care, etc.
- Demonstrated respect for diversity, equity, anti-racism and accessibility with the ability to work collaboratively and positively with others
- A proven ability to work closely and effectively with health care providers in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to implement the 2021 Asthma Guidelines
- Ability to make judgements in asthma care according to best practices
- Ability to accurately and safely perform spirometry testing in accordance with the ATS/ERS Standards
- Ability to incorporate evidence into practice
- Knowledge of infection control practices
- Knowledge of patient confidentiality policies within the CHC
- Ability to provide effective education to: patients, families, community groups, and health professionals
- Understanding of concepts of health promotion, patient education, research and secondary prevention as a part of primary care
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Ability to work independently or in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Familiarity with the STOP program is a valuable asset
- TEACH training for tobacco cessation is an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
- Proof of triple COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 12:00 p.m.(noon).
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee – Primary Care Asthma Project Educator
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: [email protected]
Please enter “Primary Care Asthma Project Educator” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages applicants who are racialized (IBPOC) and/or applicants who face any barriers as a result of systemic discrimination to apply for this position.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.