The South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service Centre that provides primary health care, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion to residents of East Toronto.
This position provides reception and clerical support to the staff and programs of South Riverdale Community Health Centre. As first point of contact, this position requires the successful candidate to be highly personable, effectively providing reception services and professionally liaising with providers, referral sources and partner agencies. This position requires providing services to a range of clients, including marginalized populations.
The successful candidate will possess the ability to accurately work in a fast-paced environment, exhibiting a strong, dynamic work ethic, as well as the ability to effectively develop solutions as a critical thinker.
- Respond to general enquires, acquiring services for patients (e.g. taxis, referrals to other agencies) and providing information to the public and other agencies regarding services
- Screen patients’ calls; make appropriate appointments for clinical services
- Make arrangements and referrals with external services (e.g. specialists, diagnostic imaging and prescription renewals), as directed
- Provide administrative support for intakes of clients receiving allied support services within the centre
- Provide intake and registration of new patients following established protocols
- Work collectively to manage client waitlists for programs and services
- Book appointments for all clinical patients using electronic health record
- Ensure patient records and files are accurate and current
- Update electronic medical record system with appropriate information as needed
- Respond to the administrative needs of clinical staff by completing computer, scanning, faxing, photocopying and filing tasks
- Responsible for the opening and closing of the Centre following established procedures to ensure the security and safety of the building, staff, patients, and guests
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Diploma/Certificate from a medical secretary program preferred
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a medical secretary or administrative assistant, preferably in a clinical or social service setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including effective telephone etiquette
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications (advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, Power Point, Access, Excel)
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with the public
- Ability to assist people in a mature, friendly and helpful manner
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, organized, a self-starter
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment; strong team collaboration
- Demonstrated experience working with populations who are marginalized, and may have experienced issues of substance use, homelessness etc. and who may have difficulty accessing primary health care
- Ability to speak and or write in Cantonese and/or Mandarin, or in a second language an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is Friday, November 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail in or drop off your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee – Medical Secretary
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: email@example.com
Please enter “Medical Secretary” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.