South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
The Kitchen Facilitator delivers food programs and services to all ages at Harmony Community Food Centre and works with the Harmony Hall Centre for Seniors program of SRCHC, which serves seniors 55+ by delivering transportation, and recreational and support services in East Toronto. Services are provided in Bengali, Chinese, English and Tamil.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about good food, ensuring everyone has access to it, possess strong skills and knowledge in cooking and nutrition, experience facilitating diverse groups and has a desire to use food as a way to build community.
Programming and Food Preparation:
- Plan and implement community kitchen programs for targeted participant groups
- Facilitate groups, building a safe and inclusive space for participants
- Coordinate community meals
- Develop rotating menu plans in consultation with dietitians and staff for program and group requirements
- Ensure program food is prepared and organized to meet program needs and assist with clean-up as required
- Contribute to seasonal and special events
Facilities and Equipment:
- Ensure kitchen and equipment are kept clean following appropriate infection control and food handling procedures as per Toronto Public Health guidelines
- Ensure kitchen equipment and items are organized and stored safely in designated areas and function effectively and safely
- Conduct daily monitoring of fridge and freezer temperatures
- Inform manager of equipment malfunctions or safety hazards
- Cooperate with staff to ensure program areas (kitchen, serving areas) are available for use and maintained to a high standard of safety and cleanliness
- Manage the food and grocery budget for programs within Harmony CFC
- Track and report expenses related to food and grocery purchases
- Ensure low-cost, seasonal meal planning in consultation with program staff
- Source and purchase food and groceries for programs, services and events; ensure economical purchasing of supplies, e.g. bulk purchasing
- Conduct routine inventory to ensure required items are in stock
- Identify, recruit, organize training, and provide supervision for volunteers
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline, or the equivalent in experience
- Food Handler Certification
- Certification as food handler trainer an asset
- Experience in kitchen operations
- Experience in community kitchen facilitation
- Experience cooking meals for groups of 10-150 people
- Knowledge of nutrition and healthy cooking to meet the needs of communities served
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially in a volunteer/community development context
- Knowledge of food access and food security issues
- Ability to work within a budget
- Physical ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and be very effective in a team environment
- Strong creative problem-solving skills
- Experience and interest in working with vulnerable populations, newcomer communities, low income, and people who use drugs
- Familiarity with the O’Connor-Parkview and Taylor-Massey neighbourhoods, and ability to speak a language relevant to the community is an asset
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Ability to work flexible hours and weekends
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is February 4, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail in or drop off your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee
Kitchen Facilitator – Harmony Community Food Centre
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enter “Kitchen Facilitator – Harmony Community Food Centre” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.