South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
Working primarily doing street-based outreach on foot and in a van, the Harm Reduction Worker Shift Lead will interact with service users, distribute harm reduction materials, provide information and referrals and maintain up-to-date data entry. This position will further support training and supporting Harm Reduction Workers while on outreach shifts. The Harm Reduction Worker Shift Lead is responsible to attend meetings and training sessions as required.
- Work with the Community Health Worker – Harm Reduction (ETOP) in East York/Danforth and interact with service users
- Work with the Community Health Worker – Harm Reduction (ETOP) and Program Coordinator to help support and train HRWs – Outreach, as well as serve as a lead while on outreach shifts
- Prepare and setup outreach materials and put supplies away when done
- Distribute harm and risk reduction materials and collect used needles and stems
- Prepare kit materials
- Make referrals to services, programs and workers
- Provide instrumental counseling
- Provide/distribute harm reduction information
- Enter data into the computer program or paper system as appropriate
- Provide on-going communication with the Community Health Worker – Harm Reduction (ETOP) regarding scheduling
- Attend training offered by the program as required
- Prepare for and attend 3-7 hours of monthly meetings (e.g. HRW, Cf and SRCHC ASM) and share the information with colleagues
- Maintain a clean and organized outreach supply set-up, including updating of information and brochures, stocking of outreach bags, etc.
- Complete log detailing work during your shift
- Fill in SRCHC time sheets documenting work hours
- Apply intervention/diffusing/de-escalation/resolution techniques, to respond to service users in distress or in conflict with others
- Participate in program evaluation
- Other tasks as required
- Excellent knowledge of Harm Reduction practice and strategies
- Knowledge of COUNTERfit Harm Reduction Program
- Understanding of homelessness, drug use and mental health issues and how to connect with people who use drugs on the street and in drop-ins
- Knowledge of resources in the East York/Danforth neighbourhood
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to actively and accurately listen and open to feedback
- Ability to walk for 2-3 hours of a shift, and carry 20-40 lbs of supplies
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience providing peer-to-peer support
- Ability to prevent and de-escalate conflicts, and confidence in asserting and maintaining strong boundaries
- Experience with overdose prevention and response
- Knowledge of community services and resources and good advocacy skills
- Experience and good knowledge of computer technology, email and internet use
- Demonstrated display of sensitivity to others
- Good interpersonal skills – open, non-judgmental and willing to learn
- Ability to work well with others and function as a member of a team, collaboratively working in a team setting
- Respect diversity including sexual orientation, gender, race, ability, drug use and sex work
- Does not use homophobic, trans-phobic, sexist or racist language, or language demeaning to drug users and/or sex workers
- Lived experience of homelessness or street-involvement considered an asset
The deadline for applicants is December 4, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee
Harm Reduction Worker Shift Lead
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enter “Harm Reduction Worker Shift Lead” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.