Contract End: December 31, 2020
South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
The Diabetes Education Community Network (DECNET) is a partnership among South Riverdale Community Health Centre, East End Community Health Centre, Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services, and Michael Garron Hospital (formerly TEGH). Working within the context of community health principles and practices, DECNET provides diabetes education support and services to adults with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes in East Toronto. Particular emphasis is placed on increasing access for mental health, hard to reach, complex, and marginalized populations and members of our community.
- Plan, deliver, and evaluate diabetes education programs and community initiatives, in collaboration with the DECNET team members. Programs include: one-to-one counselling, group teaching, support groups, community kitchens, and other initiatives to support people with diabetes
- Work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Participate in an ongoing quality improvement process to ensure adherence to best practices and to optimize quality of care
- Participate in outreach initiatives, home visits and community partnerships to improve access for our priority communities which include hard to reach, complex and marginalized populations
- Participate in relevant research initiatives, teaching opportunities and collaborations to build knowledge and capacity around diabetes prevention, education and care
- Maintain professional competency through networking with peers and other health professionals, participating in relevant continuing education, and through organizational affiliations
- Certification as a Diabetes Educator (CDE) a definite asset
- Certification as a Registered Nurse in the Province of Ontario required
- Current member with the College of Nurses of Ontario required
- At least 2 years’ RN experience desired, preferably in a community setting
- 1-2 years’ experience in diabetes education and care preferred, including working familiarity with insulin
- Experience with quality improvement initiatives in clinical and health promotion settings
- Current in evidence based best practices and clinical practice
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the impact of social, economic, environmental, and cultural issues in diabetes self-management
- Experience with outreach and community-based health care
- Willingness to work in community settings and to travel within the East Toronto community
- Foot care training an asset
- Ability to speak and write another language (Chinese or South Asian) an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is Friday, March 27, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Please send your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee – RN – DECNET
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enter “RN – DECNET” in the subject line.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.