South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
This position will provide administrative support for fixed-site harm reduction activities, newsletters and programming, as well as practical support and mentorship of community-based Satellite Site Workers to ensure the safe and timely distribution of harm reduction materials.
This position is expected to work onsite during the COVID-19 pandemic as required.
- Ensures community-based satellite sites are adequately supplied and meet the minimum standards for safe and hygienic distribution of harm reduction materials
- Partners with other Harm Reduction staff to support the production of the totalHYPE bi-monthly newsletter, a newsletter produced by the COUNTERfit Harm Reduction Program used for both an education and social engagement tool to community members who use drugs
- Supports fixed site distribution of harm reduction supplies/materials
- Maintains multiple databases and ensures timely data entry of satellite site data and harm reduction information as needed
- Ensures all required documentation is completed, securely stored and shared with the Program Coordinator, Harm Reduction as needed
- Visits Satellite Site Workers on a bi-monthly basis to monitor/support data collection and to deliver relevant administrative paperwork, including paycheques
- In consultation with the Program Coordinator, Harm Reduction, organizes 12 worker training sessions annually and ensures each Satellite Site Worker attends 10 of 12 training sessions throughout the year
- Takes statistics and notes as required during programming and events
- Treats SRCHC staff, clients and service users with respect
- Participates in program evaluation
- Collaborates with own team and other teams across the organization to identify and provide health education to target groups
- Other duties as required
- Post-secondary education from a recognized University or College or equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years relevant training and experience in mental health and harm reduction
- Excellent knowledge of Harm Reduction
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications
- Excellent advocacy and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member within a multi-disciplinary environment
- Strong commitment to health promotion, community development and adult education
- Does not use homophobic, trans-phobic, sexist or racist language, or language demeaning to drug users and/or sex workers
- Sex and drug positive
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals
- Demonstrated experience working across all genders with racialized populations, indigenous peoples, women who engage in sex work, individuals who are/have been incarcerated, people with mental health challenges, and people who have experienced trauma, considered an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
- Proof of double COVID-19 vaccination status will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is Monday, December 6, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee
Community Health Worker Satellite/Harm Reduction
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: email@example.com
Please enter “Community Health Worker Satellite/Harm Reduction” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.