South Riverdale Community Health Centre is a non-profit, multi-service organization that provides primary healthcare, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention primarily to people of East Toronto. Our mission is to improve the lives of people that face barriers to physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being. We do so by meaningfully engaging our clients and communities, ensuring equitable access to primary health care and delivering quality care through a range of evidence informed programs, services and approaches. As a leader in community health, our locally and internationally recognized community services include cutting-edge primary health services, health promotion, harm reduction, environmental health, community food centre and population-based community programs for marginalized peoples. We value health equity and inclusion and respect in our work and in the delivery of our services.
This position provides reception and clerical support to the staff and programs of South Riverdale Community Health Centre. As first point of contact, this position requires the successful candidate to be highly personable, effectively providing reception services to a range of clients, including marginalized populations. The successful candidate will possess the ability to accurately work in a fast-paced environment, exhibiting a strong, dynamic work ethic, as well as the ability to effectively develop solutions as a critical thinker.
- Availability for weekday, weekend and evening shifts
- Provide reception services including communication with clients and patients, and responding to general inquiries by phone and one-to-one
- Arrange services for clients, e.g. taxi, and provide information to the public and other agencies regarding services
- Answer incoming calls for staff and take messages as necessary
- Provide administrative support as directed, including; photocopying, faxing, arrange courier services and filing services to program and clinical staff
- Make arrangements and referrals with external services
- Input encounter information for data collection purposes
- Opening and closing of the Health Centre following established procedures to ensure the security and safety of the staff and the building
- Assist with set-up, stocking, preparation and inventory of various supplies for programs and facilities
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- 2 – 5 years’ experience as a receptionist or administrative assistant, preferably in a clinical or social service setting
- Knowledge of basic reception duties
- Ability to multitask with simultaneous attention to detail is essential
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills in dealing with the public
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology and various software applications (advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, Power Point, Access, Excel)
- Ability to assist people in a mature, friendly and helpful manner
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, organized, a self-starter
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the health issues of a diverse community and marginalized populations
- Ability to communicate in a second language an asset
- Understanding and knowledge of Harm Reduction programs an asset
- Police clearance documentation will be required for employment
The deadline for applicants is July 3, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Please mail in your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
The Hiring Committee – Casual Receptionist
South Riverdale Community Health Centre
955 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 3P3
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please enter “Casual Receptionist” in the subject line of your email.
No faxes, phone calls, or requests to meet please.
This is a bargaining unit position with CUPE Local 5399.
SRCHC welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
SRCHC is an equal opportunity employer. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SRCHC encourages a scent-free environment. Employees, students, volunteers, and visitors are asked to refrain from wearing fragrances and other scented personal care products (i.e. perfumes, deodorants, lotions, hairspray, etc.) while at the Centre.